China is a very peaceful and gentle land. Every now and then I discover some new and fascinating thing that takes my breath away.

Two weeks ago, one of the city’s daily business newspapers interviewed me about my opinion of Nanchang’s bus service. This blog is what I would have written, if I were the reporter.

I dedicate this blog to all of my friends at Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation (SMART) in suburban Detroit, Michigan.

Friday, May 4, 2007

Bus Stops

The biggest thing I noticed is the stops are different,
And WAY further apart. maybe the equivalent of six blocks in some places. Sometimes there is a tremendous crowd at each stop ... and the boarding behavior is very aggressive. People run, race, push and shove to get on the bus first. Cars, motorcycles, and bicycles routinely ride through the stop without regard for whether somebody is trying to board the bus, so I've been surprised that more people don't get hit.
You can't tell from the picture above, but most stops service anywhere from 3 to 8 different lines ... sometimes all showing up at the same time. Also there are no bells/signals inside the coach, because the driver is required to stop at every stop.



And the equipment the local company uses is very diverse – although just like at SMART, the difference between one type of coach and another will be based on the route.

For example,

No comments: